Saturday, May 17, 2008

Collect for the Day

I finally read the rubrics (a.k.a. instructions, for you non-Prayer-Book-junkie types) after the collects for Pentecost which I have been using this week and note that it says, On the weekdays which follow, the numbered Proper which corresponds most closely to the date of Pentecost in that year is used. Whoops!

With Easter being as early as it could possibly be this year, that meant using the collect for Proper 1, which hardly ever happens. I think it’s a beautiful prayer and certainly spoke to me today. I copy it here:

Remember, O Lord, what you have wrought in us and not what we deserve; and, as you have called us to your service, make us worthy of our calling; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: