Monday, April 7, 2008

Swaddling clothes

I have to admit, I love the way the women here strap infants to their backs. I hope that isn't patronizing, but I'm just fascinated by it. If it's a very small baby, all you will see is the soles of a couple of feet sticking out the side of a woman's body; as they get older you'll start to see legs and knees.

These two pictures were taken at the meeting I spoke of in the other post. I watched each woman as she bent over and piled a child on her back. Then she would take a towel or other rectangular cloth and tie first the top two corners together, tuck the lower half of the towel under the lower half of the child and tie that, too. It looked really cozy. I would worry that the towel would come untied and the child slip out, but then I've never had any practice.

No comments: