Friday, April 11, 2008

Headline news: Comprehensive Peace Agreement?

"Kony, Kony, Kony," I heard Ezra saying yesterday. I glanced over his shoulder and saw he was reading an article saying that Joseph Kony, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), once again has postponed signing a comprehensive peace agreement.

As I think I have mentioned before in this blog, there's been war in northern Uganda for over 20 years, and it has affected many of the people I'm working with. Many of them are from northern Uganda and are here because they were driven out by the conflict there. Some have lost family members. Some moved so their children wouldn't be abducted and forced to join Kony's army. All have been affected one way or another.

It is still hoped that Kony will sign today, and we shall see.

I know there's coverage in the NY Times, but here's a link to the latest from The Monitor, one of Uganda's two dailies, which is a bit more comprehensive:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200804101221.html

Keep Uganda in your thoughts and prayers today.

No comments: