Saturday, April 12, 2008

Promoting intercultural understanding

I was reading an inter-office email about how the lending program affected members’ lives and came across the acronym SOL repeated over and over. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what it was. Finally I broke down and asked Peter who explained it stood for “standard of living.” Ah, of course.

There was a taxi driver strike yesterday for matatus, bodabodas, and special hires to protest the crackdown on unlicensed drivers and mechanically impaired vehicles. This sounds like a grand idea to me, but the drivers claim that this is merely a pretext for extorting money from the drivers, which is possible. At any rate, all day yesterday we heard and saw vehicles going by with people hanging out the windows, yelling and waving—drivers and conductors showing their displeasure. Jesca and Peter both went home early since they needed to walk to get there. I was very glad I live nearby. As I explained to Ezra before I went home, if I had wanted to take a taxi I would have been SOL.

No comments: