Thursday, April 3, 2008

At the bank

As I mentioned in the last post, I came up to Ntinda to go to Stanbic Bank, the only bank that takes my ATM card. I withdrew 250,000/=, a little under $150, which should last me over the next couple of weeks unless I go crazy with the luxury items. Last week, I spent 60,000/= on a toaster--a huge indulgence, but I could think of no other way to make toast given the gas cooker that I have, and I had a hankering for toast! (I've been eating a lot of toast to make the expense worth it.)

The thing that hit me is that 250,000/= is the amount that many of the clients I am seeing borrowed to start their businesses, repaid over the course of 6, 8, 12 months. When you see all those zeroes, it seems so huge. It hadn't really occurred to me what a small amount that really is.

No comments: